Wine has been a part of our everyday lives for thousands of years. In fact, the earliest evidence of usage can be traced all the way back to China in 7000 B.C. Over the course of time, the usage of wine has spread to all corners of the world, and is used by people of all ages. Wine can be used in a multitude of ways from drinking it to being as an ingredient in cooking.
Basically wine is a type of alcoholic drink that is produced using mainly fermented grapes, or sometimes other types of fruit. There are various types of grapes that can be used in the production of wine, each with a unique taste and smell. The uniqueness of the grapes gives the wine that is produced its own characteristics. Given the fact that all grapes are different, vineyards over the course of time began experimenting by introducing other grape plants to produce a grape with different characteristics. This experimentation makes wine making an ever changing business.
While wine has been a part of our culture for centuries, recently research has shown that regular wine drinking in moderation, has positive health benefits for people. Studies have indicated that drinking wine can actually help in lowering the risk of heart disease and will help to slow the effects of losing brain function. While heavy wine drinking could produce addiction dangers, moderate usage can actually help your health.
To learn more about the interesting history of wine, please review the following information. We hope that this information and resources give you a better understanding of where wine has been, where it is now, and how it is an important part of our lives.
Overview and Definition of Wine
- Definition of Wine – Basic description of what is wine.
- Red Wine Overview – Simple information that discusses red wine.
- Wine Facts Online – Useful web site that includes information and facts about wine.
- Wine Making Definitions – A useful page which contains a listing of some of the common terms used in winemaking.
- Wine Basics – Helpful article that provides a brief overview of wine.
Origins of Wine
- Origin and History of Wine – In this page from the University of Pennsylvania, you will find some useful information about the origins of wine.
- Inventing Wine – Story from NPR which looks at the history of wine.
- A Brief History of Wine – Article from the New York Times which summarizes the history of wine.
- Timeline of Wine – Helpful article which provides a timeline on the history of wine.
- The Origin of Wine – Information in this article provides an overview on the origins of wine.
Types of Grapes for Wine
- Wine and Grape Varieties – Listing of the major types of grapes used in making wine.
- Grape Types – Web page that discusses various types of grapes used for wine.
- Types of Wine – Information on different types of wine and grapes.
- Basic Wine Types – Helpful article that lists the different types and styles of wine.
- Wine Types Chart – This chart looks at the characteristics of various types of wine.
Wine Production Information
- Overview of Wine Making – Informative page that looks at the process of producing wine.
- Wine Making – A portal of information about the wine making process.
- Tips on Wine Making – Useful page from the University of Minnesota with tips on wine making.
- How Wine is Made – Instructional page with information on how wine is made.
- How to Make Wine – Informational web page that instructs people how wine is made from fruit.
Health Benefits of Wine
- Red Wine and Your Heart – Article from the Mayo Clinic that outlines the health benefits of drinking red wine.
- How Much Wine is Good For You? – Informational article from WebMD that talks about moderate use of wine can be good for you.
- Health Benefits of Red Wine – Article that lists eight reasons why red wine is good for people.
- The Case for White Wine – This article lists reasons why white wine can be just as healthy as red wine.
- Wine and Heart Health – Informative page which discusses the benefits of wine on your heart.
General Wine Resources
- Wine and Wine Industry Resources – This page offers a collection of information and resources regarding wine.
- Grape and Wine Resources – Information from Cornell University with resources on grapes and wine.
- Wine History Resources – In this page, you will find additional resources to learn about the history of wine.
- Wine Resources – This page is a resourceful list of resources related to wine.
- Wine Education Resources – A helpful web page that contains information on learning more about wine.